top of page

   What We Offer    




Online Access



Travel Health

Holiday Medicine

Travel Vaccinations / Holiday Medicine supply information

Coronavirus COVID 19 - advice from NHS 111

If you are due to travel on holiday to another country - the NHS 111 website has the latest updated information on the coronavirus. Click here to read this 

When travelling abroad please allow enough time to arrange your travel health assessment (including, if needed, any appointment with the Practice Nurse).

6 to 8 weeks before travelling is the best time as this ensures your health information is up-to-date and the advice you receive is similarly up-to-date.

This will ensure that you are more likely to be fully vaccinated before you depart to your destination, we advise you complete and submit our Travel Health Questionaire at least six weeks before you travel.  


If you are travelling within 3 weeks please do not request vaccinations through the surgery as we will not have enough time to organise this.  

Instead you should use a private travel clinic who will be able to organise your vaccinations quicker.

Our travel health assessment will include reviewing which countries and areas within countries that you are visiting to determine if any vaccinations are required. Please ensure, therefore, to complete the travel form as fully as possible.

Please also take time to look at the recommended travel website before attending any nurse appointment. This will put you in the best place to make decisions on what vaccines you might wish to know about, what health questions to ask and what travel health precautions you might need to be aware of.


The recommended websites are - main website used by Willerby Surgery - provided by NaTHNaC  read the 'Know before You Go' campaign

Please also read our Medicine Supply Policy below which may apply if you are on holiday/travelling for a long period.

It is important to book an appointment for travel vaccines early as possible before your travel date


 6 weeks would be ideal as some vaccines you may require can only be given at a travel centre not at the practice so you will need the time to make these appointments and possibly a course of vaccines. Most travel vaccines require 2 weeks in advance of travel date for them to be effective. 

If you are travelling within 3 weeks please do not request vaccinations through the surgery. We will not have time to complete any assessment.

You are advised to contact a private travel clinic

Tropical Resort

Not all recommended travel vaccinations are included in the services provided by the NHS and you may have to pay for these from a private travel clinic. We do not provide non-NHS vaccines.

Only the undernoted vaccines are available on NHS Prescriptions:-

  • Hepatitis A

  • Typhoid

  • Diphtheria

  • Tetanus

  • Polio

Advice on Malaria will be given but any prophylaxis treatment is by private prescription and will incur costs.


Travel Health Questionnaire

To help us offer the appropriate advice, please fill out this form and hand or post it in to the surgery. If you post the form, please clearly mark “TRAVEL FORM” on the envelope.  Please also ensure your full name, date of birth, address, and contact telephone number are included.  

The nurse will assess travel risk from the information you provide - so please be as accurate and complete as possible.


ALLOW 5-10 DAYS for the nurse to review and then please contact the surgery to see what the outcome of hte assessment is. You may be asked to attend to discuss updating your NHS vaccinations and/or be advised to contact a private travel clinic to discuss non-NHS vaccines.


Travelling in Europe

If you are travelling to Europe the EU has published useful information for travellers on the European website

Medicine Supply Policy

Please be aware of NHS policy - namely that ".... if you are going to live abroad for more than 3 months then all you are entitled to at NHS expense is a sufficient supply of your regular medication to get to the destination and find an alternative supply of that medication."

"Going to live abroad" includes a holiday of 3 or more months.

Please be aware of our Medicine Supply Policy is, therefore, based on the NHS policy.

Going abroad for less than three months 


If you are away from the UK for less than three months you may be able to get free or reduced healthcare if you are visiting another country.


In EEA countries and Switzerland, this will be covered if you have an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card). However, many popular destinations outside the EEA don't have an agreement with the UK to provide healthcare, and not all costs such as transport back to the UK will be covered if there is an agreement. It is advisable to get your own travel insurance.


If you take a particular medicine, you should check that it is available in the country that you plan to live in. Local policy allows your GP in the UK to prescribe 56 days supply of your medication after which you will need to register with a local doctor in the country in which you are staying (or alternative arrangements depending on individual countries policy) to ensure continued supply. Some medicines may have a different brand name in other countries.


Can my GP prescribe extra medication to cover my trip? 


If you need medication for a stable long-term health condition your GP may be able to supply you with a prescription to cover your holiday

It depends on several things. The majority of people will find that their normal repeat prescription supply period will be sufficient to cover their holiday period.


If your normal repeat prescription is due whilst you are away, your GP may be able to give you an early repeat prescription to ensure that you do not run out whilst you are away.

However, this will depend on, for example:


· how long your GP thinks you’ll continue to need your medication

· how often your treatment needs to be reviewed

· how long you will be away


Please be aware that this is at the discretion of the GP and will be applicable in a minority of cases  .


Going abroad for more than three months 


The NHS generally accepts responsibility for supplying ongoing medication for temporary periods abroad of up to 3 months for existing long term conditions. 

If you are no longer resident in the UK and are living abroad, the NHS won't pay for any treatment or services. This includes people who are in receipt of UK state retirement pensions. 


No longer resident, means that you have left the country for more than three months. Therefore, you will have to obtain healthcare cover in the country you are in, or get private medical insurance. 


If you are going to live abroad for more than 3 months then all you are entitled to at NHS expense is a sufficient supply of your regular medication to get to the destination and find an alternative supply of that medication.



OUR POLICY DOCUMENT HAS MORE INFORMATION please click here to read in full 

Medicine Supply Policy
Hot Air ballooning
Flying model aircraft
Hotel buffet
Jungle plants
Self catering apartments
New York, New York
Activity holidays
Desert safari
bottom of page