Government advice website :  Coronavirus (COVID-19): what you need to do

Stay at home

  • The advice to the public is that if you develop a new, continuous cough and/or have a high temperature, a loss of or change to your taste or smell then STAY INDOORS and SELF ISOLATE for 7 days. 

  • Stay 2 metres (6ft) away from other people

  • Wash your hands as soon as you get home

      You can spread the virus even if you don’t have symptoms.


It was announced yesterday that from July 24th 2020 everyone is required to wear a face covering when entering a shop or business. 

This is in addition to wearing one on Public Transport which has been mandatory for some time now.

If you feel you are unable to wear a mask for auditory/sensory/breathing reasons, please visit

Face masks and children

Please see attached guidance, supported by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health. Face masks should NOT be used for babies and children under two


28/05/20 - The new relaxation rules come into effect but do not change the essential message of maintaining social distance and anyone with symptoms should stay at home - but now there is also an new way to get a test.

Anyone with a new, continuous cough, a high temperature or a change in their sense of smell or taste is asked to immediately report these symptoms and book a test at

IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR US TO GIVE ADVICE AND GUIDANCE about all the situations that can be affected by the coronavirus situation. Please use the Government website (shown above) for the most applicable and up-to-date information. 

Please try not to contact us for advice not directly related to your healthcare.

To get your repeat medication - wherever possible please find an alternative way to request repeats rather than coming in to our surgery. You can use online in a variety of ways - see our Online or Prescriptions pages


Please do not telephone us to order repeat prescriptions


Likewise - please do not contact us for letters to employers or fit notes (sometimes known as sick notes) if you are self-isolating or have been told to stay at home by your employer (see below for more detail)


Below are some key points summarising Government information and advice - including how to get information on topics patients have been asking about. If you have any issues caused or exacerbated by having to follow coronavirus rules - please follow these links.

                                                        Thank you 

Sign up email.JPG


The new NHS Test and Trace service is now launched across England.

The service will help identify, contain and control coronavirus, reduce the spread of the virus and save lives.

Anyone who tests positive for coronavirus will be contacted by NHS Test and Trace and will need to share information about their recent interactions. This could include household members, people with whom they have been in direct contact, or within 2 metres for more than 15 minutes.

People identified as having been in close contact with someone who has a positive test must stay at home for 14 days, even if they do not have symptoms, to stop unknowingly spreading the virus.

                                                                                    If those in isolation develop symptoms, they can book a test                                                                                                  at or by calling 119.

                                                                                    If they test positive, they must continue to stay at home for 7 days                                                                                          or until their symptoms have passed. If they test negative, they                                                                                             must complete the 14-day isolation period.

                                                                                   Members of their household will not have to stay at home unless the                                                                                     person identified becomes symptomatic, at which point they must                                                                                         also self-isolate for 14 days to avoid unknowingly spreading the                                                                                             virus.

                                                                      The full guidelines can be found on the Government website by clicking here

Gov 111.PNG


Social distancing measures are steps you can take to reduce social interaction between people. This will help reduce the transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19).


Social distancing must be followed by by everyone, including children. The Government website advises on social distancing measures we should all be taking to reduce social interaction between people in order to reduce the transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19). 

TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF OUR STAFF - AND TO HELP OUR PATIENTS COMPLY WITH SOCIAL DISTANCING - from Monday 4th May we will be operating and APPOINTMENT ONLY POLICY which means we will not admit anyone into our surgery without a timed appointment

That includes anyone wishing to collect a prescription, letter or other non-clinical appointment.

If you have been given an appointment time for a doctor, nurse or phlebotomy appointment - please DO NOT ARRIVE EARLY (nor late) - we will only admit you when at your designated time providing no-one else is in the waiting room.

If you wish to call for any other reason then you will be required to telephone beforehand to arrange a time with the reception team for them to admit you - that includes collecting prescriptions, drop off samples etc.

PLEASE NOTE: we will only be able to accept one person in the surgery at a time - if you can, please find alternate ways to order your repeat medications and for your prescriptions to be sent to a local pharmacy so you do not have to come into the surgery for non-medical appointments.


The Government has published guidelines on how to wear and make a facemask.


You can read this in full by clicking here for the Government website

Face coverings should not be used by children under the age of 2 or those who may find it difficult to manage them correctly. For example, primary age children unassisted, or those with respiratory conditions.

This information is a guide to making a simple face covering. We do not endorse any particular method and other instructions are widely available online. Always take care to use equipment safely to avoid injury. Children should only follow these instructions under the supervision of adults.



More specific than social distancing, shielding is a measure to protect people who are clinically extremely vulnerable by minimising all interaction between those who are extremely vulnerable and others.


It is intended for use in situations where the extremely vulnerable person is living in their own home, with or without additional support. 


For explanation of who should be shielding - how this works and how to get support use the Government website. This will have the most up-to-date information as and when it changes.

  • All patients at highest clinical risk who are shielding are asked to register to the Government Support website. This service provides access to food and medications whilst at home if needed.

  • To access this, patients must be flagged as highest clinical risk by the central process, their GP or a hospital specialist. 

  • Please note, there may be a short delay between the flag being applied and support arriving.e 

  • The list of shielded patients is constantly reviewed by NHSE/PHE and updated - that means some patients may receive letters at any time even thought they may not have been included on the list in March


This document provides guidance on infection prevention and control measures for people with suspected or confirmed coronavirus disease (COVID-19) who are experiencing mild symptoms that do not require hospitalisation, therefore are self-isolating / shielding at home.


The target audience for this is the general public in EU/EEA Member States and the United Kingdom.

Click here to read the document - this has been published by ECDC Public Health Emergency COVID-19 Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) group


If you are staying away from work because you are have symptoms of coronavirus and are following advice to self- isolate (including if you live with someone who has symptoms of coronavirus and has to self-isolate), you can get an isolation note to send to your employer as proof you need to stay off work. Please do not contact your GP practice to ask for a fit note (sometimes referred to as a sick note)


Use the NHS111 online service if you have been told to self-isolate because of coronavirus and you need a note for your employer. The isolation note provides the information that your employer requires as evidence of absence from work. This is available online from


You should work from home unless it is impossible for you to do so.

If you are not advised to stay at home by NHS111 but you have chosen - or been told - not to attend your place of work you may not be able to get an isolation note : 

Your employer should follow Government guidelines to provide you with advice on how they will pay you or how you should claim SSP/Universal Credit etc.


To see what the current guidance to employers and employees is please visit this Government website

There is also government advice on that website for those who are self-employed

The government has provided advice on employment and financial support on their website: 



If you are at high risk of getting seriously ill from coronavirus, there are extra things you should do to avoid catching it. These include: 

  • not leaving your home – you should not go out to do shopping, pick up medicine or exercise

  • stay at least 2 metres (3 steps) away from other people in your home as much as possible

Ask friends, family or neighbours to pick up shopping and medicines for you. They should leave them outside your door. 

Health at home – is a webpage that gives them an overview of NHS services that are available, such as how to order repeat prescriptions online and get them delivered


If you do not have anyone able to help you getting deliveries of essential supplies like food, you can register to get coronavirus support through this web link


The East Riding Social Prescribing teams have established a COVID response Hub which vulnerable people can access by telephoning 01482 393919 (operational between 9am-9pm Monday to Friday and 9am-6pm on Saturdays and Sundays).

Email requests are also available and all emails should be sent to  for support with, for example, Food Hampers / Medicines/prescription Pickup/Drop Off etc

If you feel your issue is more about feeling lonely/isolated and needing to talk you can use the CallER service FREE to all East Riding residents – 01482 215929 


If home is not a safe place for you because you are affected by Domestic Violence Abuse - you can call the national 24hr helpline on – 0808 2000 247 (for men the number is – 0808 8010327.

SafeLives: Specific resources for domestic abuse and COVID. 

The NHS website has advice online for the public on spotting the signs for domestic abuse and domestic violence and where to go for help. The NHS also has a help page for those who have been raped or sexually assaulted.

Additionally, the Home Office is promoting the freephone 24-hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline number - 0808 2000 247 - and associated online support available at 

You can also call the practice and talk to your GP - all requests for a GP appointment at the moment are first booked for a telephone call by the GP - we just need a number for the doctor to call you on.

We can put you in touch with the local DVAP team for help and support.

To look at more detail, please click here to go to the East Riding website listing many ways to access help and support or use one of the following :

Hull Domestic Abuse Partnership (DAP) is available to help and support at


Sexual assault referral centre (SARC) offers free support and practical help to anyone in Humberside who has experienced sexual violence and/or sexual abuse at


Men who would like confidential advice to find the strength to stop domestic abuse can contact Strength to Change on 01482 613403, from 10am to 5pm, Mon-Thurs. Further information at


A web chat for people seeking support due to domestic abuse during isolation has been launched at The live chat will be online 10-12pm on weekdays

If you are in fear of attack ring the police on 999


If you have concerns about the safety of children - and you need to reach out for support please use any of the following numbers/websites

NSPCC helpline: 0808 800 5000 If you're worried about a child, even if you're unsure, contact NSPCC
professional counsellors for help, advice and support.

Childline 0800 1111: Offers free, confidential advice and support for any child 18 years or under, whatever
the worry.

MIND: Mental Health Support with specific advice on ‘Coronavirus and your wellbeing’. Specific advice on managing self-isolation and anxiety about coronavirus.

ICON: Babies cry: You can cope.


The coronavirus (COVID19) outbreak is going to have an impact on everyone’s daily lives, as the government and the NHS take necessary steps to manage the outbreak, reduce transmission and treat those who need medical attention.

It may be difficult, but by following guidance on social distancing, or staying at home, you are helping to protect yourself, your family, the NHS and your community.

During this time, you may be bored, frustrated or lonely. You may also feel low, worried, anxious, or be concerned about your health or that of those close to you. Everyone reacts differently to events and changes in the way that we think, feel and behave vary between different people and over time. Many people including those without existing mental health needs may feel anxious about this impact including support with daily living, ongoing care arrangements with health providers, support with medication and changes in their daily routines.

Public Health England has produce some useful supporting guidance and information : click here to access

Try to focus on the things you can control, such as your behaviour, who you speak to and who you get information from. Every Mind Matters provides simple tips and advice to start taking better care of your mental health.

If you are struggling with your mental health, please see the NHS mental health and wellbeing advice website for self-assessment, audio guides and tools that you can use. If you are still struggling after several weeks and it is affecting your daily life, please contact NHS 111 online. If you have no internet access, you should call NHS 111.


This advice is to help adults with caring responsibilities look after the mental health and wellbeing of children or young people, including those with additional needs and disabilities, during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak

How a child or young person reacts can vary according to their age, how they understand information and communicate, their previous experiences, and how they typically cope with stress. 

Clicking this link will take you the help and support page from the Government website with lot's of suggestions and links to how you support children and their parents and carers - including ideas to plan time outside if you can do so safely or even using the Change4Life website for some ideas for indoor games and activities

 Additional Information 


Bowel Scope Screening - has been suspended during this coronavirus period and the attached gives some more detailed information in the form of FAQs. Please click here to open the document

Cervical Screening (HPV test) - we are still offering appointments to those who need a cervical smear test where the frequency is less than the normal 3-5 years interval.

For those who are on the normal recall (3-5 years) we would ask that you wait until after the current coronavirus period to book an appointment. A smear is not a diagnostic test - if you have unusual or troubling symptoms please ask to make a telephone appointment with the doctor.

Please click here to open the document

©2019 Willerby and Swanland Surgery. Website design with

COOKIE POLICY - Our website uses cookies - for information about cookies please read our website privacy policy